• All Wish Referrals are reviewed for eligibility and compliance.
• If the nominee does not meet our eligibility and criteria guidelines, you will receive a response within a few business days stating we are unable to consider your request.
• The required Medical Eligibility Form must be completed by the treating qualified medical professional and submitted directly from the qualified medical professionals office. The Medical Eligibility Form, the nominee’s photo (jpg format) and bio must be received within two weeks of the application submission in order for your wish to be considered; otherwise your wish application will be closed.
WISH GRANTING PROCESS FOR THOSE BEING CONSIDERED
• While we always consider the entire wish requested, we may not always be able to accommodate every aspect of the wish
• Once we receive all required paperwork (referral and medical eligibility forms, picture and bio) it will take 1 to 3 months for the documents to be processed. Once processed, you will receive a letter by mail informing you if your child has been approved.
• Once approved, we will contact the child’s family within two weeks. If you have any questions, please contact us at 813-330-2555.
• Once you receive an approval letter, your child will be placed on our waiting list. Please be patient and be assured that we are working as quickly as possible to make your child’s wish come true.
• Please be aware A Second Wish By Demetrius does have a waiting list that your child will be placed on if approved. The wait list time begins on your child’s date of approval. You may contact our office at 813-300-2555 to check status of your child’s wish.
• Only immediate family members (i.e. parent/guardian, sister, brother) living in the household; which includes siblings under the age of 18 are eligible for consideration to accompany the wish child. A maximum of (4) four eligible family members will be considered for approval to accompany the wish child.
Currently we are only able to consider travel destinations within the State of Florida.
Due to COVID-19 travel has been paused
Click the link below to download required forms
Frequently Asked Questions
Feel free to review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) a topic below for answers to some of the most commonly asked questions. If your area of interest is not addressed, we look forward to hearing from you.
How can my child receive a second wish?
Whether you’re a family member, friend, nurse, doctor, or social worker—thank you for your interest in nominating a deserving child for a wish. A Second Wish By Demetrius Inc is committed to creating happy memories, and improving the quality of life for children experiencing life-threatening illnesses.
Who can receive a second wish?
Children who are at least 6 years of age, but have not yet reached their 18th birthday, may be referred to A Second Wish By Demetrius Inc. A child’s treating physician will determine if the child is medically eligible for a wish, based on the medical criteria established by A Second Wish By Demetrius. Three years must have also passed from the child’s first wish at the time of application to be eligible for a second wish.
Do you grant wishes to adults?
No, A Second Wish By Demetrius only grants second wishes to children who are at least 6 years of age, but have not yet reached their 18th birthday at the time of referral.
Does a child's illness have to be terminal in order to qualify for a wish?
No, a child does not have to be terminally ill. In fact, many of our wish children grow into adulthood and lead healthy, happy lives.
Can a child receive more than one wish?
No, A Second Wish By Demetrius grants one second wish to each eligible child.
Are there any restrictions to a wish?
Currently our second wishes are only for travel destinations within the State of Florida.
Does the family have to pay for the wish?
No, all wish expenses are fully covered by A Second Wish By Demetrius. The second wishes are arranged and paid for by A Second Wish By Demetrius with no out-of-pocket expenses for the wish family.
Does the family have to meet financial criteria in order to be eligible for their child to receive a wish?
No, A Second Wish By Demetrius grants second wishes to children who qualify for our services without regard to race, creed, religion, sex, or economic status.
Is there a waiting list to receive a wish?
Yes, currently there is a wait list.
How long does it take to grant a wish from referral to fulfillment?
Once you receive an approval letter, your child will be placed on our waiting list, which is currently estimated at over four years from the date of approval. Please be patient and be assured that we are working as quickly as possible to grant your child’s second wish.
How do you decide which children receive wishes?
A Second Wish By Demetrius does not decide which children receive wishes. Every child referred to A Second Wish By Demetrius who is deemed medically eligible for a wish and meets the required timeline between the first wish receives their second wish.
How much does a wish cost to grant?
Wish costs vary greatly depending on each families’ unique circumstances. Whenever possible, A Second Wish By Demetrius seeks in-kind donations to help defer wish expenses.
Is A Second Wish By Demetrius governed by an oversight reporting agency?
A Second Wish By Demetrius Inc. as a 501(c) (3) charitable organization, the Internal Revenue Service requires A Second Wish By Demetrius to file an annual 990 informational return, which is open for public inspection and can be viewed at www.guidestar.org. Also, A Second Wish By Demetrius is registered with and complies with the laws governing charitable organizations in other states. Each state has individual requirements and oversight agencies. Our non-profit foundation was organized in the State of Florida, and the agency responsible for oversight of our charitable solicitation and registration is Florida’s Division of Consumer Services. They can be reached toll-free at 1-800-435-7352.
Are my monthly donations tax-deductible?
Your contribution to A Second Wish By Demetrius Inc. is tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law. In January, upon your request, A Second Wish By Demetrius Inc will send you written confirmation of your contribution during the previous calendar year. Please consult your tax advisor or attorney for information about specific situations.
A Second Wish By Demetrius Inc. 501(c) 3 Organization
Phone: 813-330-2555 | Fax: 813-252-6937
Mailing Address: PO Box 25912, Tampa, FL 33622
Physical Address: 4202 E. Busch Blvd. #5 Tampa, FL. 33617
Email: [email protected]
“A copy of the official registration and financial information may be obtained from the division of consumer services by calling toll free (800-435-7352) within the state. Registration does not imply endorsement, approval, or recommendation by the state.” #CH46508
In alignment with guidance from the CDC and World Health Organization, travel wishes and wishes involving large gatherings, including theme parks, are currently paused. If you have a child that you are considering referring for a wish, please do not wait as it takes time to process the application.